Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya
Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya previously was known as Special Program of Al- Azhar In Indonesia, located in Jakarta that has benefit from various aspects; which is close to embassies/representative of Egypt country and other Arab countries, close to the central of government of the Republic of Indonesia, close to the center of Al – Azhar Alumni and alumni of other Middle – East universities. The program specification described as follow:
- Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya previously was known as Special Program of Al- Azhar In Indonesia. The program was an implementation of the agreement on cooperation in science and culture which was signed by the Rector of Al-Azhar University of Cairo, Prof. Dr. Ahmad Omar Hashim, and Rector of the State Islamic Institute (IAIN) Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta -which then converted to Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) Jakarta- Prof. Dr. Azyumardi Azra MA, on September 17, 1999 in Jakarta. The agreement was revised after that on March 29, 2002, and then on February, 27-2012. Information about program specification is published at the academic guidebook, university website and academic information system, that can be accessed by stakeholders.
- Since year 2005, Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta has been holding Grade A accreditation from the National Accreditation Board. The last accreditation was in year 2009, based on Decree No: 011/BAN-PT/Ak-VII/S3/I/2009 of In the National Accreditation Board, where Faculty of Islamic Studies Jakarta is still holding Grade A Accreditation. Re-accreditation process will be in 8 July 2016.
- In 7 April 2014, Global Group inaugurated Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta a certificate of registration to certify that the Quality Management System of Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta has been assessed and registered against the provisions of ISO9001:2008 International standard, re-certification due date will be 24 March 2017.
- Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta has some specifications and distinctive characteristics from other departments within Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) Jakarta, but in the country. Among these distinctive characteristics are Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta uses Arabic Language as learning instruction, including student’s final research assignment, and Faculty of Islamic Studies Jakarta requires all students to memorize 8 juz/parts of al-Quran; every student must memorize 1 juz/part of the Qur’an per semester. Beside that, Lecturers of Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta, especially for the core course competencies, have international competency and qualification standards; they are graduates of international universities, especially from Al Azhar University in Cairo. so the graduate of Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta’s program, they will have competencies.
- Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta offers Bachelor degree (S1) with three option packages of specialization in the seventh and eighth semester, namely: a) specialization of Sharia sciences, b) specialization of Theology science, and c) specialization of Arabic language and literature. Package of specialization is determined by interest of a student and evaluation learning results in the previous semesters.
- Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta develops a comprehensive pattern of Islamic sciences, universal and moderate that are;
- Comprehensive; means sciences about Islam which is integrated and not partial, by providing of Islamic sciences to students widely and deeply, in field of Shari’ah knowledge, Usuludin, Arabic Language and Literature as appropriated with the undergraduate students level, as well as a foundation for specialization in Master and Doctoral programs.
- Universal; means the sciences of Islam based on the spirit of the Qur’an and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad which is not partial or impartial to a group and certain sects that is not in accordance with the teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah.
- Moderate; means open and away from the extreme ideology, not too textual and not very rational, not too materialistic and not too spiritualistic, and also the sciences which is able cultivate a tolerance and respect to others.
Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta plays a role in diplomacy and maintaining good relations with the international community, and represent an excellence of religious studies. It plays as mediator between the Government of the Arab Republic of Egypt and the Republic of Indonesia and between and between Indonesia with other Arab countries. Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta has MoU with of Al-Azhar University and Muhammad Ibnu Saud University in Riayadh.
Students who attend Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta are those who graduate from private Islamic boarding schools and from government and non-government Madrasah, and majority of them are from villages. The candidate of Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta students must have certain competencies, among the most important competencies are; having very good basic Arabic in speaking, writing, listening, and understanding classic Arabic texts; having ability to read al-Qur’an fluently; having basic knowledge of Islamic studies, and; ready to memorize the Qur’an I juz/part per semester. And Bachelor of Islamic Studies in Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta requires 4 years/8 semesters, with maximum period of learning 7 years/14 semesters.
Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta, like other departments and faculties in UIN offers only one time intake, in September every year. Registration starts from March every year. There are 3 (three) channels for admission in Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta; 1) directly handled by the faculty through oral exam, 2) through a special committee endorsed by the Ministry of Religious Affairs, and 3) through a test conducted by the university.
Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya Jakarta adopts continues process of assessment and evaluation. For class assessment lecturers use; quizzes, mid-term test, final test and other assignments. In the final year the student should sit for a comprehensive examination, and to write final project paper. The final project paper is written in Arabic, supervised by a supervisor, and in the end it will be reviewed and examined by a team of examiner.
Video on teaching and learning activities in Faculty of Dirasat Islamiya